Friday, November 16, 2012

Visiting with some of the Texas Metzer clan


Saturday, 10 November. The day of our little mini-Metzer reunion.  We drove out to Doug & Beke’s place a few miles outside the little town of Brazoria around 1:00pm.  Doug had told everybody we’d eat about 4:00pm, so we had loads of time to visit and get a tour of their place.  Doug & Beke were in the middle of getting ready for the wedding of their daughter, Shawna, at their place in a couple weeks.  Doug had just put the finishing touches on a bridge over the lake on their property, complete with a covered roof, benches, and hanging Boston ferns.  Should make for a beautiful setting for the actual marriage ceremony.  We’re all praying for good weather, BTW.  Slight chance of rain right now, but you know what they say about Texas weather: If you don’t like the weather, stick around for 10 minutes and it’ll change.  One of Doug & Beke’s sons, Matt, also came out.  Matt is “infamous” in his family for bucking the Texas A&M college trend and graduating from Texas Tech in Lubbock.  Me, I’m impartial: I root for the Texas Longhorns!  Ticks everybody off!

My Aunt Francis (who I will know forever as Tootie (and is only two years older than I am) arrived around 4:00pm, along with her daughter Carrie, and Carrie’s daughter, Emily.  Tootie’s son, Jarvis, and his family arrived a little bit later. This included his wife Glenda, and their daughters Ashley (who could be a twin with her aunt, Carrie – two very beautiful young ladies) and Courtney, and their son, Zack.  Doug and I grilled burgers for everyone, while Tootie brought some delicious potato salad and a wonderful lemon cake.  Beke rounded out the rest of our eats for the day with all the fixings for the burgers, and we were set to enjoy some outstanding, down-home Texas-style hospitality.  Throw in some cold beer and chilled wine, and we were good to go.  After eating, we all just set back and visited, told old family stories, laughed-and-laughed and thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company well into the evening.  For the blog readers our there, I was actually born in Kingsville, Texas.  We lived in the Bryan/College Station area until I was about five.  Then my Dad packed up the whole family in the middle of December 1951 and we moved to Washington State, where I grew up.  But while living in Texas for those first five years, we lived right across the rural road from my Dad's folks, my Grandpa & Grandma Metzer.  And my sister, Sandi, and I had our Aunt Tootie and Uncle Sonny (Harold) as playmates every day.  We grew up as brothers and sisters and had more fun; we were so close in age. And to this day, regardless of any "other" influences, I still call them Sonny and Tootie.  We took lots of photos, but unfortunately the flash on my camera wasn’t working properly.  So, I apologize in advance for the appearance of the photos in this blog entry.  Sorry about that.  Darn it! 


My Aunt Tootie, her daughter and my cousin, Carrie, me, and my cousin Doug

My Aunt Tootie and her favorite nephew!

Tootie's son, Jarvis, and his family

Ashley (Jarvis' oldest), Carrie and her daughter, Emily


Now tell me: Couldn't Ashley and Carrie be twins?

Tootie and her son, Jarvis, and daughter, Carrie









No comments:

Post a Comment