Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Exploring Myrtle Beach area, buying new bikes

Wednesday, 9 January 2013.  In the last blog I believe promised some additional pics of our Willow Tree campground, so here they are.  While Lynette was watching her soaps, I took a walk around the campground, looking for some opportune viewpoints of our campsite.  The Willow Tree campground has a small lake with a paved bike trail that encircles the lake; I think the staff told me the the total trail around the lake is one mile. So I did one mile, plus a little bit more walking in and out of various side roads.  Here are a couple of the better pics I got today.




Bonus photo:  As I was coming back from my walk around the lake to the main part of the campground, I met some campers who were playing horseshoes.  They invited me to join them, but since I'm sure I would have kicked their butts, I declined but said I'd love to join them on another day.  Parked right next to the horseshoe pits was this beautifully restored '55 Chevy Bel Air 2-door coupe.  Cherry little car. Had to have a couple photos, just as a memento. Enjoy -- it really was a cherry car!


Different subject.  Lynette & I have promised each other that we were going to buy a couple bicycles and actually ride them at every campground we stay at that has some decent bike/walking paths/trails and/or roads.  So, this past Tuesday we set out for Myrtle Beach to locate a bike shop and look at bikes and a bike rack for the Saturn.  I've been looking at the various bike racks that I've seen on other vehicles in the various campgrounds we've visited these past six months.  I had more or less settled on a Saris Thelma rack and that's what we ended up ordering at the bike shop.  Per internet searches and reviews, it got high marks all around.  According to the salesman at the bike shop, next to a Yakima bike rack (which was out of stock for awhile, so we couldn't order it and receive it in time to do some serious riding over the next few weeks), the Saris is a close second.  Here's a stock photo of the Saris Thelma two-bike model that we'll be using. The young lady in the pic was an optional package --- and Lynette said "No!"


While at the bike shop we naturally talked about our full-time RV lifestyle and that we were also in the market to buy a couple bikes.  The salesman turned us on to the Phat Cruiser style bike.  One speed, coaster brakes, very comfortable seat.  Nice feel to the whole experience as we road the bikes around the block.  My bike was a "return" but in excellent condition, and the shop knocked off quite a bit off the list price.  I've included a couple stock photos of my version, the Skullz, and the one Lynette will ride, the Zoe Heart.  When looking at the photo of her bike picture a purple basket on the front that matches the purple sidewalls.  Very chic, very chic indeed.  My model, the Skullz is much more macho looking, of course!  We should be able to pick up the bike rack and bikes on Friday and then start doing some serious riding.  Will include additional pics of us in action later. We can't wait to start riding!











No comments:

Post a Comment