Sunday, June 2, 2013

Pro Football Hall of Fame.....and Joe Namath live!

2 June 2013.  Greetings, blog followers.  Yes, I'm still catching up on my blog entries.  Part of my excuse is that we're traveling again and driving that 35-ft motorhome doesn't let me type on my computer.  And usually after driving all day and setting up even a minimal campsite, I'm tired.  But here we are, settled in at the Mackinaw Mill Creek campground just outside Mackinaw City, Michigan.  Took a quick tour of the surrounding area and caught a glimpse of the towering Mackinac suspension bridge, as well as this quaint little Michigan village, which is obviously geared to the tourist crowd.  But more on that story in a follow-on blog about our four-day stay here in the Mackinaw City area.

On May 31st, we once again headed north on I-77 from our campground in Cambridge, Ohio. Destination this time: the Pro Football Hall of Fame (HOF) in Canton, Ohio. I'd been looking forward to this visit for quite some time; Lynette, not so much, but she was a champ and accompanied me -- and humored me -- thru every exhibit and display I wanted to experience.  Thanks, Sweetheart!  The Pro Football HOF is a must on any football enthusiast's bucket list.  This is virtually a dream come true for die-hard football fans.  There is just so much to see and do and experience.  Display after display, exhibit after exhibit of a huge assortment of artifacts, from pro football's earliest days right up to the present.  For any given record setting event -- be it the jersey of RG III that he wore when he set the rushing record for QBs in a year or the entire uniform Baltimore Ravens outstanding linebacker Ray Lewis wore in his very last game as a player in the NFL -- you'll find it on display at the HOF.  There's a huge number of hands-on displays and exhibits, as well as interactive videos where you can punch in a team, a player, a coach, a year, etc. and watch a video showing such things as the invention of the Y.A. Tittle to RC Owens famous "Alley Oop" pass or the early days of the then struggling American Football League (AFL) before the merger with the NFL.  Just wonderful stuff.  Once again: a MUST see for any football fan.

I'm apologizing in advance for the poor quality of some of these photos. They were taken with Lynette's camera phone since I'd stupidly forgotten my Canon EOS Rebel.  I could have kicked myself.  Anyway, even using my Photo Explosion software some of the pics just aren't what I'd like for this blog, but it is what it is.  Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed exploring the Pro Football HOF.

The following photo is a "professional" shot taken when I arrived at the HOF.  When I left, I had the option of what background I wanted for my souvenir photo (the original pics was shot against a green backdrop).  I chose the room in the HOF that displays the individual busts of everyone ever elected to the HOF.  This room is very impressive, very impressive, indeed.  Almost like a shrine of some sort.  I'm also  including a couple close-ups of two of my favorite players so you can get an idea of the craftsmanship of these busts.


                                
                                       Jim Thorpe                                                    Johnny Unitas

Me posing in front of a HUGE mural of Johnny U.

Having a quiet chat with Cleveland Browns superb running back, Jim Brown........

and "Sweetness," Chicago Bears running back, the one and only, Walter Payton.  BTW: Although the above two pics don't show it, these "players" were life-sized and arranged sitting on a bench.  There were about eight players total, in different poses, and all in uniform; I got pics of two I liked.



At this display you could place your hand in a casting of the hand of Patriots linebacker, Willie McGinest.  At 6'5" and 270, this guy had HUGE hands.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but my fingers are probably an inch short.  Brings a new meaning to "What big hands you have."

I did much better in this casting of Troy Aikman's throwing hand.  Guess that means I should have played QB.  But I loved playing defense so much more!

A display of the evolution of the football.   A more rounded shape in its earlier days.

John Elway's (Denver Broncos QB) jersey worn on some day when he broke some sort of passing record (I forget what).  This is really in here for my sister, Sandi, a long-time Denver resident and Bronco and Elway fan.  Go Broncos!

And this is RG III's jersey and shoes, worn in the game when he broke the record for most yards rushing in a year for QBs.  This pic is in here for my son, Kip, a Deadskin fan.

This Sonny Jurgensen (Washington Deadskin QB) jersey is interesting because I never knew some of the older jerseys had the crotch snaps at the bottom.  Hard to see, but that's what it is, crotch snaps, to help keep the jersey tucked in.  Guess it worked.

This pic shows part of the entire uniform worn by former Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis in the very last game he played in the NFL.  Shoes included.

Jerseys of two of my favorite players, Roger Staubach (QB) and Bob Lilly (defensive lineman), from America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys.

Me and Johnny U having a little discussion on what play to call......

An old poster advertising season tickets (10 games) for the Chicago Bears.  At Wrigley Field.  Hmmm, wait a minute; I thought the Cubs played at Wrigley.....

Display showing a handmade letter sweater worn by Jim Thorpe, along with a poster and other memorabilia from pro football's earlier days.

Check out these uniforms and padding from pro football's earlier days.  And yes, that is a leather nose protector on the dummy's face.  Per the accompanying placards, this piece of "safety" equipment actually caused more injuries than it prevented, and was eventually discarded.

Nice photo of Tom Harmon, both an outstanding collegiate and  professional football player and later a sports broadcaster.  He is also the father of NCIS honcho, Mark Harmon.

An actual playbook on display.  Can't remember what team or player.  Just like we drew up in HS.

Me posing with a life-sized bronze statue of the great Jim Thorpe.

And here's a real goofy shot of me wearing one of the helmets today's modern pro QBs wear to communicate with their coaches from the sidelines.  A coach calls a play and the QB hears it thru his helmet.  This exhibit had feeds of actual plays being sent to the helmet.  Man, those plays were so complicated I'm sure I'd most likely just call an audible.  You know: Okay, Horning, you go deep.  Down the sideline, 20 yards, cut in quick, and I'll hit you with a spiral.  Yeah, right!

This mural of the Bears' Walter Payton covers the whole one side of the HOF on the outside.

Entrance to the HOF.  I-77 is just behind the photographer.

One last little story, really a sideshow to our visit to the Pro Football HOF.  Joe Namath (QB for the New York Jets, famous for his prediction that the Jets would beat the Colts in Super Bowl III) was on the HOF grounds filming a commercial for the "Namath Rapid Cooker."  I'm not kidding, that's what it is called.  While they wouldn't let us get too close to Joe, we nevertheless were able to take a couple shots between takes.  I had to laugh because he only had a couple lines on the cue card, but seemed to be having trouble with the wording so they changed the words for him.  Go figure.  Anyway, it was kinda neat to have a "real" hall of famer on site with us.

                     
                                            Joe rehearsing his lines.  All three of them.....

     
              More rehearsing.....                                  Nope can't get it.  Let's change the cue card!

To Joe's credit, he got it right in Super Bowl III and let the Jets to a 16-7 victory over the colts.


Joe stuck around for another day and helped with a "preview" of an upcoming dedication of a new exhibit of the Super Bowl trophy for display at the Pro Football HOF.  Way to go, Joe!





No comments:

Post a Comment